CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Snuggle up with a good book!

I decided to repost this since it was first posted at the beginning of the my blog days!

Do you ever snag your child's book to read on your own?  Well, maybe you should!  Recently, I found this list about why adults should read more children's books, and I thought I would share.  It might make you look twice at the book your child is reading and want it for yourself!

WHY YOU SHOULD READ CHILDREN'S BOOKS AS AN ADULT
by Jen Robinson

1.  It's fun.

2. It keeps your imagination active.

3. It strenthens your relationship with the children in your life who read.

4.  It sets an example for the children in your life, making them more likely to become readers.

5.  It clues you in on cultural references that you may have missed (both current and classical).

6.  It's fast.  Children's book are usually shorter than adult books, so if  you don't think you have time to read, you DO have time to read a children's book.

7.  It allows you to read across genres.  Children's books aren't limited to mystery OR science fiction OR fantasy OR literary fiction.  They have it all.

8.  It's like time travel - it's an easy way to remember the child you once were, when you first read a book.

9.  It's often inspirational - reading about heroes and bravery and loyalty makes you want to be a better person.  And couldn't we all do with some of that?

10.  Did I mention that it's fun?

Source: Jen Robinson's Book Page, 2005

She is right!  Children's books are fun!  So...my challenge to you...find a children's book to read this week!  Get recommendations from your child.  Check out popular books online.  Go to the library and look a the children's section.  I have two book suggestions for you...Swindle by Gordon Kormon or The 39 Clue Books...this is a series and after you read the first one, you may want to read them all!  I would love to hear what books you come up with to read.  Feel free to leave a comment and let me know!

So, go find the child in you!


1 comment:

  1. I have 39 Clues on my list to read. I think it is fun to go thru the books I read in high school and middle school. Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley High, Fear Street for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete